Cleaner of the Mljet Coves
If you wish to feel the true connection to nature come to the Mljet National Park and help us bring back its old glow. The beaches and Park shores are continuously exposed to great amounts of waste brought in by the currents and winds. Help us clean and by doing so protect nature and make everyone’s stay on the greenest island of the Adriatic even more beautiful.
Duties and responsibilities
– clean the coves from the rubbish floating in the sea
– keep a daily record of the collected waste
– help raise public awareness about the problem of marine debris
– based on the work done(cleaned waste), directly contribute to protecting and preserving the Park environment and the Adriatic sea
Number of positions
2 to 10
From April to October (24.04.-01.05., 01.-08.05., 08.-15.05., 15.-22.05., 22.-29.05., 29.05.-05.06., 05.-12.06.)
Six days a week (from Monday to Saturday), six hours a day. The minimum volunteering period is 7 days, with the possibility of extension in agreement with the Park.
– physically fit (possible work in the sun)
– desire and will to spend time outdoors
Croatian and/or English. Volunteers from foreign countries must speak English in order to communicate with the Park staff.
Volunteering with a disability
The program is suitable for people with mild forms of disabilities which do not prevent them from doing the above-mentioned duties.
Within the area of the Park. The exact locations will be determined depending on the needs and priorities of cleaning specific coves, lakes and other coastal areas.
Accommodation is provided free of charge. Volunteers will be housed in the building Kulijer owned by the Park. Rooms with three and more beds, including a bathroom and a common kitchen are available. Several restaurants and two stores are also open during the summer.
Food is provided free of charge. The Park staff will purchase and deliver groceries for volunteers to prepare themselves. Alternatively, they will be provided with a free meal at the local hotel.
Local transportation within the Park is ensured. Travel costs of arrival to and departure from the Park have to be arranged by the volunteers themselves.
– go mountaineering, walk or ride bicycles on over 40 km of marked lanes
– rent kayaks, canoes, and paddle in lakes
– dive alone or under the watchful eye of a diving instructor in Pomena
– rent a scooter or a car in Polače and see the rest of the island and its sights
– rest and spend time with other colleagues, the Park staff and visitors of the island and the Park in numerous restaurants and taverns which offer local cuisine
Why volunteer at our Park
– to gain new experiences and strengthen your communication skills
– to meet visitors, the local inhabitants, the Public Service and its employees and expand your social network
– to participate in outdoor activities in a unique surrounding
– to cooperate with the Park’s employees (the Guardians of Nature, informers, tour guides) and learn about the management of protected areas
– to enjoy nature, sun and sea, relax on the beach and engage in various sports activities such as swimming, cycling, rowing, running, mountaineering…
Contact Damjan Aljinović, our expert associate and head of recreation at the Mljet Nature Park. All you need to do is fill out the form. Damjan will contact you with further information or register you as a volunteer if you are interested (and if there are positions available)!