Dry Stone Wall Mason
Join us in renewing the dry stone wall of the greatest olive orchard in Dalmatia in the Vrana Lake Nature Park. Learn this traditional trade, master the technique and help rebuild the cultural and biological diversity of the Modrave olive orchards.
Duties and responsibilities
– renew dry stone walls – a layered construction set up of natural stones without the use of mortar
– learn and clean the vegetation which has overgrown the walls
– investigates and georeference existing drywall structures (note down coordinates and photograph dry stone walls)
– inform the public (visitors of the Park) of the renewal activities
– contribute to preserving the cultural heritage of the Park
Number of positions
Optimally 5 hours a day, total of 30 hours throughout the duration of the program. It is mandatory to participate in the entire duration of the program.
– willingness for physically demanding work under the sun (even in April the sun can be harsh)
– ability to work and finding an independent role in the group
– patience and commitment
– readiness for the hiking and being outdoors the whole day
– a strong will to learn and strong hands
Croatian and English. Volunteers from foreign countries must speak English in order to communicate with the Park staff and other volunteers.
Volunteering with a disability
The volunteering program is not suitable for people with severe disabilities and physical and motoric difficulties.
Volunteers will work in the Modrava field, once the largest olive groves of the eastern Adriatic coast, especially on the reconstruction of pedestrian paths bordered by stone walls, in the area near the Prosika harbor.
Accommodation is provided and free – in the apartments Zvonimir in Prosika. One apartment is suitable for three and second for four people. The source of electricity in the apartments is from solar panels, so it is not possible to use all electrical appliances (such as hair dryers). There is a gas heater in case of low temperatures in the apartment. Barbecue is available in the courtyard of the apartments.
Park will procure and deliver foods to be prepared independently by the volunteers in the kitchen of the apartment. The costs will be covered by the Park.
Local transportation within the Park is provided – the Park will according to the prior agreement ensure transportation from the volunteers’ housing to the nearest grocery store or bus station. Travel expenses of arrival to and departure from the Park have to be arranged by the volunteers themselves.
– explore the Vrana Lake – watch birds, rent and ride a bicycle or kayak, get to know the footpaths of the Park and visit the attractive lookout point “Kamenjak” which offers a great view of the entire lake and the Adriatic sea
– swim in the Vrana lake and the Adriatic sea which is only a kilometer away
– visit the surrounding islands – Murter and Vrgada
– upon return or arrival visit Zadar, Biograd, Pirovac or Šibenik
Why volunteer at our Park
– volunteering will help you master the traditional ways of construction
– to get to know the Mediterranean swamp and its biodiversity
– to strengthen your body and mind by actively working in nature
– to contribute to the local sustainability and strengthen the local community
– to feel the true strength of teamwork