Guardian of Agro-Biodiversity
Are you studying agronomy, biology or veterinary medicine? Or are you simply a lover of nature and animals? Excellent! Join us at Biokovo Nature Park because we need volunteers to help us protect the autochthonous Croatian cattle “Buše” and other animal species in the Park. Along with helping us care for the animals, you will also educate visitors about the autochthonous breeds and the nomad lifestyle that was once typical of Biokovo.
Come and help us tell the story of our little animal kingdom!
Duties and responsibilities
– look after autochthonous breeds of the Park’s domestic animals
– educate visitors who remain for longer periods at the Ravna Vlaška info centre about the autochthonous breeds and the nomad lifestyle that was once typical of Biokovo
– contribute to the preservation and promotion of autochthonous breeds
Number of positions
From early June to late September
Six hours a day during the period of 6 days (from 8 am to 2 pm). Minimum volunteering time is 15 days and maximum is 3 months.
– candidates who are studying or have completed agronomy, biology and/or veterinary studies (preferable, not a prerequisite)
– professional or practical knowledge of breeds and care for the animals
– basic experience in holding education courses
– basic knowledge in expert management
– aptitude for working with domestic animals
– excellent communication skills
– experience and desire to spend time outdoors
Croatian and English. The position is not suitable for foreigners because volunteers will need to provide information to domestic visitors and communicate with the local community.
Volunteering with a disability
The stable with animals is suitable for people with disabilities and various difficulties (depending on the level of disability)
On the location of Ravna Vlaška, next to the Park’s info-centre on the 13th km of the Biokovo road where the stable with the autochthonous breed “Buše” is located.
Accommodation is provided free of charge. Volunteers will be housed in apartments with 2 beds, a bathroom and kitchen in the Park’s administration building in Podgora Selo. Should there be a greater interest for volunteering, the Park will arrange the accommodation at the Hostel Makarska in Makarska.
Food is provided free of charge – the Park delivers groceries which the volunteers will prepare for themselves at the Park’s administration building at Podgora Selo (or at the Hostel in Makarska)
Local transportation within the Park is provided. Travel expenses of arrival to and departure from the Park are covered by the volunteers themselves.
– enjoy walks and the Park’s beauties
– fill your time with numerous activities in the nearby town of Makarska
– enjoy local cuisine in restaurants and cafés
– engage in various water sports
– go rafting on Cetina river
– go on day trips to nearby tourist destinations such as Dubrovnik, Međugorje, island of Brač and Hvar
– tour the wine roads in Imotski and Vrgorac region
Why volunteer at our Park
– by working with the Park staff you will expand your knowledge of the natural and geological characteristics of Biokovo, the cultural and historical heritage and in general about the management of protected areas
– by socializing with a great number of visitors from Europe and the rest of the world, you will significantly improve your knowledge of foreign languages
– in your free time you can take advantage of the proximity of the sea and beautiful beaches and engage in other seasonal activities
– you will make new contacts that will help you in your future business
Contact Ksenija Protrka, our geography and geology professor and volunteer manager of Nature Park Biokovo by filling out the form. Ksenija will contact you with further information or register you as a volunteer if you are interested (and if there are positions available)!