You’re in love with photography and nature? Spend a week at the Green Island Mljet and bring your art to our park! Depending on the time of year, you will have the opportunity to document the living world, activities in the park, customs and traditions, cultural monuments and various events. You will spend time outdoors in the enchanting scenery of the park. Walking in the woods, riding a boat or bike around the lakes, getting to know the villages and their inhabitants, revealing the magic of island life. Your contribution will leave a trace through photos that will adorn our publications at home and abroad.
The job description of Photo volunteer
A volunteer will with its own photo equipment photograph wildlife, cultural heritage, landscapes, events, and activities. Equipment must consist of a minimum of one DSLR camera with a lens. Depending on the time of the year, volunteers will concentrate on specific tasks, such as taking a picture of spring-blooming orchid or summer events.
Participants in this program will sign a statement of the assignment of the photos to Mljet National Park and submit the photos shortly after the end of the program.
Number of positions
May 20. – 27.5.; August 5. – 12.8.
From Monday to Saturday, six hours a day with several shorter and one longer lunch break.
– Knowledge of working with DSLR camera
Croatian and/or English. Volunteers from foreign countries must speak English in order to communicate with the Park staff.
Volunteering with a disability
The program is not suitable for people with disabilities.
Within the area of the Park. The exact locations will be determined by a volunteer coordinator on a daily basis.
Accommodation is provided free of charge. Volunteers will be housed in the building Kulijer owned by the Park. Rooms with three and more beds, including a bathroom and a common kitchen are available. The building is 2 km from Pomena, the location of the only hotel on the island, with several restaurants and two stores which are open during the summer.
Food is provided free of charge. The Park staff will purchase and deliver groceries for volunteers to prepare themselves. Alternatively, they will be provided with a free meal at the local hotel.
Local transportation within the Park is ensured. Travel costs of arrival to and departure from the Park have to be arranged by the volunteers themselves.
– go mountaineering, walk or ride bicycles on over 40 km of marked lanes
– rent kayaks, canoes, and paddle in lakes
– dive alone or under the watchful eye of a diving instructor in Pomena
– rent a scooter or a car in Polače and see the rest of the island and its sights
– rest and spend time with other colleagues, the Park staff, and visitors of the island and the Park in numerous restaurants and taverns which offer local cuisine
Why volunteer at our Park
– to gain new experiences and strengthen your communication skills
– to meet visitors, the local inhabitants, the Public Service and its employees and expand your social network
– to participate in outdoor activities in a unique surrounding
– to cooperate with the Park’s employees (the Guardians of Nature, informers, tour guides) and learn about the management of protected areas
– to enjoy nature, sun, and sea, relax on the beach and engage in various sports activities such as swimming, cycling, rowing, running, mountaineering…
All you need to do is fill out the form. National Park will contact you with further information or register you as a volunteer if you are interested (and if there are positions available)!