Crni LugPhone +385 (0)51 836 133Webwww.np-risnjak.hr
Join us at Risnjak National Park and try your hand at making a shingle – a traditional wooden natural cover. In addition to learning an old craft, you will also help us renovate and cover the roofs of the houses within the park.
What does a Shingle Maker do?
– makes wooden shingle – the traditional roof cover in the Park using traditional tools
– contributes to the preservation of the cultural heritage and the aesthetic and functional design of the Park Administration building, auxiliary facilitates, and signage in the park
– contributes to the preservation of the natural appearance of the Park by producing natural environment-friendly building material
How many volunteers are needed?
When is it possible to volunteer?
31.07.2023. – 11.08.2023.
What are the working hours?
6 hours a day, from 7 am to 3 pm, from Monday to Saturday.
What qualities are required?
– good hands (necessary for making the shingles)
What language should a volunteer know?
Croatian or English. Volunteers from foreign countries need to be fluent in English to communicate with the Park staff and other volunteers.
Opportunity to volunteer for people with disabilities
This workplace is suitable for people with minor disabilities (e.g. deaf people) if it is not an obstacle to performing the activities described.
Where do volunteers work?
Volunteers will work in the area of the educational trail Leska during nice weather or in a covered area at the Park’s Administration building.
Accommodation is provided in a hostel in Crni Lug, near the administration of the Risnjak National Park. The property has a total of 43 beds arranged in two larger common bedrooms with 14 beds for larger groups and 5 smaller bedrooms. On each floor (ground floor and attic) there is a bathroom with a shower while in the basement is a large dining room and kitchen.
One hot meal (lunch) is provided by the park, and it is possible to prepare meals in the kitchenette in the hostel.
Local transport within the Park is organised – Park provides transport from the accommodation within the park to the place of work. Travel expenses for arriving and leaving the Park are paid by volunteers themselves.
What can volunteers do when they aren’t volunteering?
– Play sports (football, basketball) on a playground 50m away from the hostel
– Rent bikes and ride on one of many trails in the park
– Hiking on the peaks of Risnjak and Snježnik and visiting the upper part of the Kupa river with its spring
Why volunteer at our Park
– Gain new experiences and strengthen your communication skills
– Get acquainted with the sights and the way the Public Institution operates as well as make contact with visitors and locals
– Make new friends and expand your social network
– Use the opportunity to develop new business ideas and partnership
– Work in nature protection and learn how to manage a protected area
– Enjoy beautiful mountain scenery and fresh air, engage in sporting activities or simply observe and photograph wildlife
Contact Ivana Čop, a colleague in National Park by filling out the form. We will be happy to contact you with more information or sign you up to volunteer if you are interested (and if there are vacancies)!