The Guardian of Plant Biodiversity
Imagine beautiful spacious meadows filled with flowers. Maintaining them is made possible by the use of natural “mowers” – the game animals of Brijuni. However, there is a spiny flower they keep avoiding – Spanish oyster thistle. Because the game animals “mow” everything around it, the Spanish oyster thistle can spread and take over areas that would otherwise belong to other plants.
Let’s not allow the thistle to overtake the meadows and endanger their biodiversity – join us on Brijuni and helps us control its spreading.
Duties and responsibilities
– remove the abrasive Spanish oyster thistle (Scolymus hispanicus) using gardening tools (hoe) on the meadows of the island of Veliki Brijun
– preserve the biodiversity of meadows of the Brijuni National Park
Number of positions
10 (suitable for larger volunteering groups)
21-28 May 2017
From 8 am to 2 pm.
– interest in protecting nature
– physically fit to work outdoors and in the sun
– aptitude for team work
Croatian, English or Italian
Volunteering with a disability
Volunteering position is suitable for the deaf and hearing impaired.
On the meadows of the island of Veliki Brijun– the largest island of the Brijuni archipelago.
Volunteers will be housed on the island of Veliki Brijun, in one of the apartment buildings in the Park’s ownership. Apartments are equipped with toilets, bathrooms, a kitchen, heating system and drinking water. Volunteers will be share the housing – a bedroom with one or two people, the kitchen and two toilets (maximum of 10 volunteers).
Volunteers are provided with one daily meal at the worker’s restaurant. Volunteers will have to arrange all additional meals, the groceries will be provided and delivered to the kitchen of the apartment building, or they can heat up the meal prepared earlier in the worker’s restaurant.
On the day of the arrival, volunteers will get a timetable of the boat’s arrivals from Fažana (land) to Veliki Brijun and vice versa. Travel costs of the boat ride during volunteering will be covered by the Park.
– rent a bike and ride around the Park
– rent golf equipment and try out golfing on the unique, natural golf course dating back to 1922
– visit the Brijuni Safari Park and Ethno park
– swim in the sea, free dive or relax in the quiet beaches of Brijuni
– visit the Brijuni Museum
– explore the island of Veliki Brijun and its parts that are rarely visited by tourists
– see the dinosaur sculpture and search for trails it left 125 million years ago
– visit Pula (7km from Fažana where the entrance to the Nation Park is) – visit the amphitheatre
– visit Rovinj (30 km from Fažana) – for many the most romantic city in the Mediterranean
Why volunteer at our Park
– to participate in our volunteer programmes which will help you gain new personal and professional experiences
– because time spent in the fresh air, away from the hustle and bustle, is good for your health!
– to participate in making positive changes in preserving nature and to do good for our planet
– to improve your communication skills
– to meet new people and gain new friendships
– to learn about the values of the National Park and managment of protected areas
– to enjoy nature, sun and sea, to relax on the peaceful beaches of Brijuni and engage in various sports activities
– to see the secluted parts of Veliki Brijun and learn about the interesting history of the islands of Brijuni
– to have fun!
Contact Alena Sprčić, the volunteer coordinator at the Brijuni National Park, by filling out the form before 21 April 2017. Alena will contact you with further information or register you as a volunteer if you are interested (and if there are positions available)!