Come to Medvednica and help us organize several festivals throughout the year and give your own contribution in promoting natural and cultural beauties of Nature Park Medvednica. On medieval Medvedgrad where each year we host a traditional cultural-tourist manifestation that revives the spirit and customs of the Middle Ages. You can swear allegiance to the Black Queen as we need your help to set up the equipment, props, and signposts for visitors and chop wood for the campfire and medieval kitchen.
We will repay you by making you king or lady of the manor at the king’s table.
Duties and requirements
– distribute promotional leaflets about the Nature Park Medvednica
– informing visitors about the details of the program and other festivals in the park
– assistance in training workshops at the even International Bat Night
– accreditation visitors at the entrance of Medvedgrad
– help bring and set up equipment such as tables and benches, chests, armaments, tools, torturing devices, tents, and other equipment
– help set up the canopy for the king’s table and domestic animals
– chop wood for the campfire and medieval kitchen
– set up additional garbage bins
– set up various signs and signposts
– mow the lawn
– help personnel bring, set up, disassemble and take away the equipment
– help with the cleaning
– if you wish, play the part of the King and Lady of the Manor at the royal table!
Number of positions
2 to 4 for each festival, 20 to 30 volunteers per year
The last weekend of September and the Friday before and Monday after that weekend.
For one-day events (Eight hours on the day of the manifestation and the day before because of the preparations for the event).
For multi-day events (eight hours on the day of the manifestation, one day before because of the preparations for the event and one day after the event to restore the environment to its original state before the event).
– comfortable with handling simple tools such as a hammer and a paintbrush
– be prepared to carry a medieval costume and participate in the manifestation
Croatian or English. Foreign volunteers must speak English in order to communicate with the Park staff and members of the manifestation.
Volunteering with a disability
The program is not suitable for people with disabilities.
In the medieval fortress Medvedgrad and on the Glavica hut (Nature Protection Day and International Day for Biological Diversity).
In the medival fortress Medvedgrad in Nature park Medvednica (Medieval days on Medvednica).
On the Glavica hut and in cave Veternica (International bat night).
In the area Vukov Dol, „Planina Gornja“ eastern part of Medvednica (event „Autumn in the Mountains“).
In the „Park vozača“ in place Pila close to Sljeme main road in the municipality Stubičke toplice in Zagorje part of Medvednica (event „Glijvarenje v Stubaki).
Accommodation is not provided. Volunteers have to arrange their own housing.
Food is not provided. Volunteers have to arrange their own meals.
Local transportation within the Park and to the public bus stop is provided. Travel expenses of public transportation and arrival to the Park have to be arranged by the volunteers themselves.
– enjoy walks in the natural and well-preserved woods which cover over 80% of the Park area
– hike on some of the 72 hiking trails of various difficulties and varied landscapes
– ride on 8 circular cycling lanes
– walk along educational trails and the Bliznec forest road which is suitable for people with disabilities and allows easy access for public buses for those who are not willing to walk
– replenish or rest themselves in some of the mountain lodges or hospitality facilities and in two hotels (for those who wish to stay longer)
– in the winter you can ski on the route where the Snow Queen Trophy race takes place (route made famous by Janica and Ivica Kostelić)
– visit the main tourist attractions of Medvednica: the Vetrenica cave, the Zrinski mine, and Medvedgrad
– attend Medieval Days on Medvednica which take place in September of each year
Why volunteer at our Park
– volunteering at events and festivals in Medvednica Nature Park you will have the opportunity to actively participate in the promotion of natural and cultural values of Medvednica.
– by spending time outdoors and actively participating in various aspects of the Public Service’s work you will help contribute to the protection and preservation of Medvednica.
Due to the situation with the COVID-19 pandemic, applications to the volunteer program are currently not possible.
Contact Andreu Kostelić, the head of Department of promotion, education, and interpretation of the department at the Medvednica Nature Park by filling in the form. Andrea, Sanja, or Denis will contact you with further information or apply you for volunteering if you are interested (and if there are positions available)!