The Lastovo Cleaner
Help us make our visitors’ stay on the Lastovo archipelago, the youngest Croatian Nature Park, a pleasant one. The problem we have been fighting against is the driftwood sea waste which is endangering the coastal beauty of 46 islands, a feature of one of the most preserved sea beds in Croatia.
Join us – let’s clean up the waste, together, so that the natural beauty can resurface and be the pleasure and joy for all generations.
Duties and responsibilities
– site visiting with the Park visitors
– collect and recycle marine debris
– lay down and prepare the waste for transport
– do all of the above and thus contribute to the conservation and protection of the Park and the Adriatic sea
Number of positions
Up to 20
In June, August and September.
The position requires a one day working bee organized by the Park during the summer months. For more information regarding the exact dates of activities, please contact the volunteer manager by filling out the form at the bottom of the page.
– nature lover
– motivated to clean marine environment
– a team player
– be comfortable with working outdoors
– be resourceful and resilient
Croatian or English. Foreign volunteers must speak English in order to communicate with the volunteer manager.
Volunteering with a disability
The position requires slightly more demanding physical work in the open and is thus suitable for people whose disabilities do not prevent them from collecting waste.
On the coastal zone of coves and beaches within the Park location. The cleaning activities will primarily take place in the cove locations which have most waste.
Accommodation is not provided. Volunteering activities within the Park are aimed at the local inhabitants and visitors who are already on the archipelago. Should there be interest for work in the form of volunteer groups or scouts, the Park will offer support by helping to find suitable accommodation at the expense of volunteers.
Food is provided free of charge. Upon completion of each activity, lunch will be organized for the entire group.
Local transportation within the Park is provided – the Park will ensure transportation from the volunteers’ housing within the Park to the work place and to the location where lunch for the entire group will take place.
– try out the local cuisine and wine
– enjoy fish caught in the Park
– visit the Saplun sandy beach
– enjoy the clear sea in the secluded coves
– rent bicycles, scooters or boats for driving around the Park
– attend the yearly event Kulturno ljeto (The cultural summer) organized by the Tourist Board of the Lastovo municipality (concerts, klapas, caricature exhibition, summer cinema, wine tasting and sale of domestic eco products in agricultural cooperatives, wine cellars, family run agricultural farms)
Contact Gojko Antica, Head expert at the Lastovo Archipelago Nature Park by filling out the form. Gojko will contact you with further information or register you as a volunteer if you are interested (and if there are positions available)!