The Ship Host
Join National Park Krka and help us bring our visitors closer to the beauty and riches of its cultural heritage. All you need is good will and the wish to show people that caring for nature makes our everyday lives more beautiful and happier, and our future brighter.
Duties and responsibilities
– inform the visitors on boat trips about the itinerary and sights they will see during the fieldtrip (Skradinski buk – Visovac –Skradinski buk and Skradinski buk – Visovac – Roški slap – Skradinski buk)
– inform visitors of the Park’s rules and regulations
– answer visitors’ questions
– contribute to raising awareness of the natural and cultural heritage of the Park
Number of positions
From July to August.
From Monday to Friday, 6 hours a day (from 10 am to 4 pm). Minimum volunteering period is 10 days, maximum is one month.
– demonstrate interest
– sociable and with good communication skills
– speak at least two foreign languages (English is obligatory, German or Italian) – not essential to speak Croatian
– ready to work outdoors
– ready to acquire new knowledge and skills
Volunteers from Croatia must speak English, but knowing other languages is an advantage. Volunteers from foreign countries must speak English to be able to communicate with visitors and the Park staff. As is the case with local volunteers, knowing other languages is an advantage.
Volunteering with a disability
The volunteering position is not suitable for people with disabilities.
On the upper Krka where the boats take the visitors on fieldtrips. If field tips are cancelled for some reason, volunteers will be at the dock (reception) to provide visitors with more information.
Accommodation is provided in the apartment for two people in Indigo hostel in the center of Sibenik.
Overnight stay and breakfast in hostel including lunch.
The Park provides for transportation from the hotel (“Vrata Krke” Lozovac), Šibenik, Ražin, Skradin, Konjevrata and Lozovac (if the volunteer is not using the accommodation provided by the Park) to the work place. Travel cost of arrival to the wider area of the Park and departure are covered by the volunteers themselves.
– rent bicycles and ride to and around the waterfalls (a 5 km lane)
– swim on the local beaches
– enjoy local cuisine (the Skradin cake, the Skradin risotto, prosciutto…)
– enjoy evenings out in nearby towns (Šibenik, Primošten, Vodice, Rogoznica,…)
– swim on nearby beaches (Šibenik, Solaris, Brodarica, Vodice, Zablaće,…)
– explore the Park and surrounding places
Why volunteer at our Park
– to meet the local inhabitants who have in many respects tied their lives and work to Krka
– to expand your knowledge and skills that the Guardians of Nature use on a daily basis at the Park
– to hear legends and stories about Krka
– to discover folk traditions from the Roman times
– while walking through the Park you will see shelters of the Paleolithic man who used to live here, the roads of Roman soldiers, paths of famous Croatian medieval noblemen, Winnetou canyon – the famous Indian chief from the Karl Mayer stories – you will form an unbreakable bond with this world and its history
Contact Marin Malenica, assistant to the Park director by filling out the form. Marin will contact you with further information or register you as a volunteer if you are interested (and if there are positions available)!