Do you like nature and enjoy being in nature the whole day, but are also eager to learn something about ,,old” crafts? Then this is the perfect program for you. All volunteers willing to use their skills to help with the maintenance of mountain meadows are welcome.
What does Meadow maintainer do?
– Manually mows the grass in the traditional way – ,,as it used to be” and removes shrubs and smaller trees that grow in the meadow and along the edges
– Contributes to the conservation of natural heritage in order to prevent the succession of agricultural land and the maintenance of biodiversity
– Contributes to keeping this beautiful part of nature attractive and rich in plant species
How many volunteers are needed?
When is it possible to volunteer?
1. period: 11.07.2022. – 22.07.2022.
2. period: 22.08.2022. – 02.09.2022.
What are the working hours?
6 hours daily, from 7 am to 3 pm, from Monday to Saturday
What qualities are required?
– Good physical condition
– Desirable competence to operate a chainsaw, mower, or a trimmer
What language should a volunteer know?
Croatian or English. Volunteers from foreign countries need to be fluent in English to communicate with Park staff and other volunteers.
Opportunity to volunteer for people with disabilities:
Not suitable due to required fieldwork and physical work.
Where do volunteers work?
Volunteers will work on the mountain meadows located in the Park area.
Accommodation is provided in a hostel in Crni Lug, near the administration of the Risnjak National Park. The property has a total of 43 beds, arranged in two larger common bedrooms with 14 beds for larger groups and 5 smaller bedrooms. On each floor (ground floor and attic) there is a bathroom with showers while in a hostel basement there is a large dining room and kitchen.
One meal (lunch) is provided by Park, and it is possible to prepare meals in a kitchenette in a hostel.
Local transport within the Park is organised – Park provides transport from the accommodation within the park to the place of work. Travel expenses for arriving and leaving the Park are paid by volunteers themselves.
What can volunteers do when they aren’t volunteering?
– Play sports (football, basketball) on a playground 50m away from the hostel
– Rent bikes and ride one of many trails in the Park
– Hiking on the peaks of Risnjak and Snježnik and visiting the upper part of the Kupa river with its spring
Why volunteer at our Park?
– Gain new experiences and strengthen your communication skills
– Get acquainted with the sights and the way the Public Institution operates as well as make contact with visitors and locals
– Make new friends and expand your social network
– Use the opportunity to develop new business ideas and partnership
– Work in nature protection and learn how to manage a protected area
– Enjoy beautiful mountain scenery and fresh air, engage in sporting activities, or simply observe and photograph wildlife
Contact Ivana Čop, a colleague in National Park, filling out the form. We will be happy to contact you with more information or sign you up to volunteer if you are interested (and if there are vacancies)!